Thursday, May 01, 2008

Diabetic Pie

I've always been envious of people who speak and understand multiple languages. Not because it might give me an edge in the business world or so that I can teach English to those who have just arrived in America. Neh. My reasons are much more shallow. Drives me nuts that these three French guys get together in the cafeteria here at work popping fresh fruit in their mouthes and speaking French. Their conversation is completely shielded by the fact that no one else knows what the hell they're saying. They must love that. What are they saying? Dammit, I need to know!

Back at my desk, I realize I do speak another language. I speak diabetes and not everyone knows it. I'm undercover.

One woman, about three cubicles to my left, mentions something about a diabetic pie, to which the woman next to her jokingly says ...

"What's it made with insulin needles inside?"

They all have a good laugh and then the joke is repeated to another woman just getting off the phone.

Why are they even talking about a diabetic pie? Maybe one of them has diabetes? Do your ears prick up like mine when someone mentions diabetes in a non-diabetes environment?

I must investigate.

Slip n' slide on over to Blogabetes and check out my latest drivel, Asleep at the Wheel. Thanks.

3 Comments:

At 10:59 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

That needles in the pie joke was the unfunniest joke I've ever heard. Not because I'm PC, but because they could've come up with something better. I think you should get on that, stat.

My grandparents used to converse in Polish so that I couldn't understand what they were saying. I so wish I had some sort of idiot savant talent where I could decipher any foreign language. Sorry if I was un-PC about mentioning idiot savants. not my intention.

 
At 1:29 PM, Blogger Coashhh said...

I seek out conversations that involve diabetes. I get a sense of pannick if i am not involved with what is going on. But then when i am presented with diabetic pie type talk i get all shakey (like 2.5 bg)and cannot think straight.
Oh by the way that language thing happens everyday out here. I have adopted a simple smirk that makes it look like i know what the hell they are saying. I have a skill to where i nod a the right times too. Im such a dork.

 
At 5:06 AM, Blogger Shannon said...

I tagged you for a meme!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home